Looking to escape the hustle and bustle of city life? Russia’s great outdoors offer an abundance of breathtaking scenery, fresh air, and outdoor adventures that are sure to leave you feeling rejuvenated. From picturesque lakeside retreats to rugged mountain ranges, there’s something for everyone in this vast country. So pack your bags, grab your sunscreen, and get ready to explore some of the best summer destinations in Russia!
Russia is a vast country with an immense amount of natural beauty. From western Siberia’s snow-capped mountains to the sandy beaches of the Black Sea, there is no shortage of stunning scenery. With so much to see and do, it can be tough to decide where to go on vacation.
For those looking to explore the great outdoors, Russia has a lot to offer. Whether you’re seeking adventure in the wilds of Siberia or a peaceful stroll through one of the many nature reserves, there are plenty of places to enjoy a perfect summer escape. From national parks and wildlife sanctuaries to ancient cities and secret lakes, we’ve rounded up some of the top destinations in Russia for a summer holiday.
Each spot offers something unique, so no matter where you choose to visit, you are guaranteed an unforgettable experience. Read on for our top picks and start planning your next summer getaway today!
The Best Summer Destinations in Russia
1. Siberia – With its endless stretches of taiga forest and majestic mountain ranges, Siberia is the perfect place to get away from it all and reconnect with nature. If you’re looking for an adventure, there’s no shortage of activities to keep you busy, from hiking and rafting to fishing and horseback riding.
2. Kamchatka Peninsula – This wild and rugged region is one of Russia’s most popular summer destinations, thanks to its spectacular volcanic landscapes and abundant wildlife. Adventure seekers can go kayaking, river rafting, or even heli-skiing in this pristine wilderness.
3. Altai Mountains – The Altai Mountains offer some of the most breathtaking scenery in all of Russia. With their snow-capped peaks and verdant valleys, the Altai are a hikers’ paradise. In addition to hiking, you can also enjoy horseback riding, camping, fishing, and other outdoor activities in this beautiful region.
4. Lake Baikal – Known as the “Pearl of Siberia,” Lake Baikal is the largest freshwater lake in the world and one of Russia’s most popular summer destinations. Its clear waters are perfect for swimming, boating, and fishing, and there are plenty of hikes and biking trails to explore along its shores.
Exploring the Baltics
The Baltics are a region in Northern Europe, encompassing Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania. This area is known for its stunning scenery, with forests, rivers, and lakes dotting the landscape. In addition to its natural beauty, the Baltics are home to many historical and cultural sites.
Estonia is the smallest of the three Baltic countries, but it packs a punch when it comes to outdoor activities. Tallinn, the capital, is a medieval city with plenty of charm. Just outside of Tallinn is Lahemaa National Park, where you can hike through forests and along sandy beaches. For something truly unique, head to Saaremaa Island to see the windmills that line the coast.
Latvia is another great destination for nature lovers. Riga, the capital city, has a lovely Old Town that is perfect for exploring on foot. Just outside of Riga is Gauja National Park, where you can go canoeing or hiking through lush forest landscapes.
Lithuania rounds out the trio of Baltic countries. Its capital city of Vilnius is filled with medieval architecture and cobbled streets to explore. If you’re looking for an adventure, head to Trakai National Park where you can try your hand at kayaking or stand-up paddleboarding on one of the many lakes.
Unwind at Karelia
Karelia is the perfect place to unwind and escape the hustle and bustle of city life. This region, located in northwest Russia, is known for its pristine lakes and forests. It’s the perfect place to go hiking, canoeing, or just simply relax by the lake.
If you’re looking for a more active vacation, there are plenty of options for that as well. You can try your hand at fishing, go rafting down the rapids, or even go horseback riding through the wilderness. Karelia is truly a unique destination that has something for everyone.
Discovering the Caucasus Region
Whether you’re looking for an adventure-filled holiday or a relaxing break, the Caucasus region has it all. Here are some of our favourite summer destinations in the Caucasus:
1. Elbrus – The highest mountain in Europe, boasting breath-taking views and a challenging hike to the summit.
2. Sochi – A bustling seaside resort with a huge range of activities on offer, from water sports to shopping and nightlife.
3. Kazbegi – A quaint village nestled in the mountains, offering stunning scenery and a taste of traditional Georgian culture.
4. Abkhazia – An autonomous republic with its own unique culture and history, well worth exploring if you’re looking to get off the beaten path.
5. Svaneti – Another fascinating autonomous republic, home to UNESCO-listed villages and some of the most breathtaking scenery in Georgia.
Trekking Through Siberia and Far East Russia
If you’re looking for an adventure this summer, look no further than Siberia and Far East Russia. From the selection of different trekking routes to the pristine wilderness, there is something for everyone in this part of the world.
One of the most popular treks is the Great Baikal Trail, which runs along the shores of Lake Baikal – the largest freshwater lake in the world. The trail offers stunning views of the lake as well as its surrounding mountains and forests. Other popular treks include those in Altai Republic, Kamchatka Peninsula and Tuva Republic.
Siberia and Far East Russia is also home to some of the world’s last remaining intact ecosystems. This makes it a haven for wildlife lovers who can spot rare animals such as Siberian tigers, Amur leopards and Far Eastern black bears. So if you’re looking for a summer destination that offer both adventure and relaxation, Siberia and Far East Russia is the place for you!
Whether you’re looking for a relaxing summer retreat, an adrenaline-filled adventure or just somewhere to soak up nature’s beauty, Russia offers plenty of incredible destinations. From the rolling hills of the Caucasus Mountains in the south to the wild landscapes of Kamchatka in Far Eastern Siberia, there is something for everyone. With its unique mix of culture and history combined with its stunning natural environment, Russia is a destination that will leave you feeling refreshed and inspired!