As the summer heat sets in, it’s more important than ever to fuel your body with nutrient-rich foods that not only keep you cool but also help you stay fit and healthy. From juicy watermelons to crisp cucumbers and leafy greens, there are plenty of delicious options to choose from. So put down the ice cream and pick up some fresh produce because we’ve got a list of top nutritious food choices that will help you beat the heat while nourishing your body!
Why Eat Healthy in the Summer?
Summertime is the perfect time to eat healthy. Not only because it’s hot outside, but also because there are so many things you can enjoy while keeping your diet in check! Here are five reasons why eating healthy in the summer is a great idea:
1. You’ll Stay Cool All Summer Long: The hotter it gets, the more likely you are to feel overheated and clammy. Stick to hydrating foods and drinks that keep you hydrated and take breaks every now and then to cool off with ice water or a refreshing breeze.
2. You’ll Stay Fit All Summer Long: Just like staying hydrated keeps you feeling energized, sticking to a nutritious diet will help keep you healthy throughout the summer. Instead of high-calorie snacks or sugary drinks, choose fruits, vegetables, and lean protein sources instead.
3. You’ll Save on Money: Eating healthy doesn’t have to cost a fortune – in fact, some of the best food choices for staying healthy during the summer are actually incredibly budget-friendly options! For instance, grilled chicken or fish is a great way to get your protein without breaking the bank, and making fresh salads instead of using packaged prepared salads can save you lots of cash too!
Top 10 Healthy Foods to Eat in the Summer
Summertime is a great time to get your daily dose of fruits and veggies. Not only do they taste great, but they’re also packed with vitamins and minerals that can help keep you cool and fit this summer. Here are ten of the best healthy foods to eat in the summer:
1. Frozen fruit: Enjoy frozen fruits anytime, but especially in the summer when they are sweet and refreshing. Try pineapple, mango, or papaya cubes for a delicious treat.
2. Avocado toast: Avocado toast is perfect for hot days or summer picnics since it’s filling but doesn’t require any preparation time. Simply spread butter or membrillo (a type of nut paste) on a piece of bread, top with mashed avocado, and bake until golden brown.
3. Fresh fruit: Fresh fruits are always a good choice no matter what season it is—and during the summer they are especially juicy and tasty! Try blackberries, raspberries, or strawberries while they’re still in season.
4. Smoothie bowls: A smoothie bowl is one of the healthiest lunch options out there because it combines all sorts of flavors into one bite-sized dish without all the added fat and calories of traditional sandwiches or salads. Try strawberry-banana-avocado for something fruity and satisfying, or peach-berry-banana for something more tart and refreshing.
How to Choose the Right Healthful Foods When Eating Out
When enjoying a meal out this summer, remember to choose healthful foods. Here are four tips to help:
1. find restaurants that specialize in healthy fare. This can include places like salad bars or vegetarian restaurants.
2. ask the waiter or waitress about the restaurant’s menu and see if there are any healthier choices available. For example, some restaurants offer roasted vegetables instead of fries as a side dish.
3. be aware of high-calorie items on the menu and avoid them if possible. For example, choosing fruit over cake or opting for an entrée rather than a side dish can help limit your calories.
4. take advantage of nutritional supplements when dining out so that you’re getting the appropriate nutrients and antioxidants without all the extra added sugar or calories.
Recipes to Enjoy These Healthy Foods at Home
Looking for healthy summer recipes? Here are a few nutritious food choices to help keep you cool and fit this season!
1. Veggie Tacos with Lime Crema
2. Grilled Romaine Salad with Blueberry Vinaigrette
3. Peach Kale Smoothie
4. Whole-Grain Pizza with Spinach and Feta
5. ½ Grapefruit with Yogurt, Honey, and Mint
6. 5 Minute Walnut Mayo Salad Dressing
Summer is the perfect time to stay cool and fit. There are plenty of ways to do this, but some of the most nutritious options include staying hydrated, sticking to light meals and snacks, and choosing foods that are high in antioxidants. Here are five top nutritionally sound food choices for summer:
1.Stay Hydrated: The best way to stay cool and fit this summer is to drink plenty of fluids. This includes water, juice, lemonade, iced tea, sweetened teas, and energy drinks. If you’re feeling overwhelmed by how much water to drink each day, consider drinking blended smoothies or adding fresh fruit and/or veggies to your drink repertoire.
2. Stick To Light Meals And Snacks: Eating fewer calories during the summer months can help limit your body’s ability to produce heat. That means limiting yourself to lighter meals and snacks such as fruits, yogurt, trail mix with nuts or seeds, vegetable wraps with hummus or peanut butter instead of bread or chips, weight loss pudding instead of ice cream etc.
3. Choose Foods High In Antioxidants: Foods high in antioxidants can help reduce inflammation and protect cells from damage caused by free radicals. Some good sources of antioxidants include brightly colored fruits and vegetables such as oranges and red peppers; legumes such as chickpeas; unsalted nuts; whole grains; seafood minus the oil; cold-pressed oils like olive oil; berries (especially blueberries, strawberries, blackberries and raspberries); and herbs such as rosemary, thyme, sage, or lavender.