Chandigarh: A planned city with lots of gardens
Chandigarh is the first planned city of independent India, which was designed by the famous French architect Le Corbusier. Right from the roads to the skyscrapers, everything is nicely planned in this beautiful city, which is also the capital of prosperous north Indian states of Punjab and Haryana. Every year a large number of people from different parts of India, and the world come to visit this picturesque city, and enjoys its pleasant weather, modern lifestyle, and beautiful sightseeing.
The top experiences of Chandigarh are Nek Chand Rock Garden, Capitol Complex, Government Museum & Art Gallery, Sukhna Lake, Le Corbusier Centre, High Court, Chandigarh Architecture Museum, Natural History Museum, High Court Museum, Bhima Devi Museum, Secretariat, Open Hand Sculpture, Vidhan Sabha, National Gallery of Portraits, Pinjore Gardens, Bougainvillea Garden, Rose Garden, Garden of Fragrance, Terraced Garden
Important information about Chandigarh
The city is located on the slopes of Shivalyks, the mountain range of the Himalayas. Its weather mostly remains pleasant throughout the year. Some important information about this city are as follows:
• The city is 114 sq.km in area, and it is 304-365 meters above sea level.
• Chandigarh International Airport is the main airport of Punjab, Haryana, and Himachal Pradesh.
• In winter, maximum temperature remains 16 degree centigrade and in summer it may rise up to 40 degree centigrade. The city gets an annual rainfall of 1110mm on an average.
Chandigarh offers pleasant weather, modern lifestyle, and beautiful sightseeing
Air: Chandigarh International Airport is connecting important Indian cities, like Delhi, Pune, Bangalore, Kolkata, Srinagar, etc. through very upgraded air services provided by several airlines. Presently, some international flights are also connecting Chandigarh to Sharjah, and Dubai.
Road: Three national highways, viz. NH5, NH7, and NH152 are passing through this beautiful city. The internal road transport system of Chandigarh is also very strong. This city has the highest number of vehicles per capita in India. The state is connected with other parts of country like Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, and Delhi through public road transport system.
Rail: Chandigarh junction is an important railway station in north India. Regular trains are plying from this Chandigarh to Kolkata, Dibrugarh, Vishakhapatnam, Thiruvananthapuram, Bangalore, Kollam, Jaipur, Lucknow, Amritsar, Bhopal, Indore, and many other important places in India.
Famous destinations in Chandigarh
Some very attractive and famous sightseeing in this city includes the following locations:
• Sukhna Lake – This artificially created, rain-fed lake is located in Sector 1 area in Chandigarh. Its serene atmosphere is absolutely relaxing, and charming. It is also the most popular destination to observe many festivals unique to Punjab and Haryana.
• Rock Garden – Adjacent to Sukhna Lake is Chandigarh’s most famous sightseeing, Rock Garden. Its various sculptures, and interlinked causeways directed towards the waterfall of Sukhna lake are really attractive.
• Rose Garden – It is the largest botanical garden in Asia, where over 800 varieties of roses, and 33000 varieties of herbs and shrubs could be found.
• Leisure Valley – This 8Km stretched combination of various theme gardens in Chandigarh is starting from Sector 1 and ending at Sector 10.
• Capital Complex – It is located at the heart of the city. One can find the “Open hand sculpture”, a creation of Le Corbusier himself. The High court museum, and secretariat are just near to this place.
Besides, numerous other beautiful places like International doll’s museum, Terrace garden, Cactus garden, Art gallery, Government museum, and Natural history museum, etc. are visit-worthy places in this beautiful city in India.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: